We don’t blame you if you’re still wading through the Apple v Samsung verdict in 2012 with Apple winning quite the pretty penny over design patents.
For those of us who didn’t just lose $1,049,343,540 in damages, however, there are plenty of digital resources from the past week that remind us that the tech world goes on.
We have a list of Google+ circles marketers that you should follow, an explanation for why we’re only in the early days of social search, and tips for ditching that ancient landline of yours.
We also have a bunch of interesting infographics from our Lifestyle channel about e-commerce, cyberbullying and Facebook at work, as well as 13 departure-themed photos from Mashable readers. And don’t forget about their Third Annual Social Good Summit, which is coming up soon!
Enjoy these digital media resources.
- Join the Social Good Summit Global Conversation
Join the global conversation at this year’s Social Good Summit by organizing or attending a meetup in your hometown or around the world.
- Inform Your Vote With These Six Presidential Campaign Apps
Want to stay in the know about politics? Download these six mobile apps.
- Online Security Tips for Journalists
Whether you’re a journalist in the field or the office, you have to know how to protect yourself and your publication from online attacks. These tips will prove valuable for anyone — not just journalists.
- How to Make Money From YouTube
Eager to join the plenty of people successfully making a living on YouTube? Start with advice from the pros.
- 7 Ways Your Family Can Get More Out of the Cloud
The cloud can also offer busy families a variety of helpful and time-saving resources that are easy to employ. Here are seven.
- 10 Must-Follow Twitter Accounts for Tech Insight
Follow these 10 thought leaders on Twitter to stay on top of the ever-changing landscape of technology.
- Viral Video Recap: Funniest Memes of the Week
Cats, space, McKayla Maroney — check out this recap of the week’s funniest viral videos that will leave you laughing.
- 20 TV Shows With the Most Social Media Buzz This Week
Which TV shows generate the most buzz on social media networks? Find out each week from our social TV chart.
- Inside the Battle for College Athletes’ Social Media Lives
Should universities be allowed to monitor the online behavior of student athletes through forced access to social media accounts or contracts with third-party tracking companies?
- Football v. Football: Which Sport Wins Social? [INFOGRAPHIC]
This infographic compares English and American football through the social media profile of their respective leagues and teams.
- 10 Google+ Circles Marketers Should Follow
Follow these Google+ circles for insights about marketing, technology, digital branding, social media, and blogging.
- Why Social Media Can’t Win Swing Votes
The 2012 election is supposedly set to showcase how well candidates understand the deep nuances of social media. Or so the argument goes.
- When the News Breaks: 15 On-Air Flubs [VIDEOS]
Reporting the news can be treacherous. Check out these onscreen bloopers from over the years.
- How to Increase Your Search Rank Using Social Media
The rules of search have changed. But never so dramatically has rank been uprooted since the explosion of social media.
- 13 Bittersweet Photos of Departure From Mashable Readers
As students here in the United States prepare to go off to school, we asked our readers to send us photos symbolizing “departure.”
- Watch These 10 Babies Taste Lemons for the First Time
Ten babies get their first taste of sour citrus fruit in these 10 adorable YouTube clips.
- 8 Blunt Charts From Tumblr’s ‘Truth Graphs’
The two-week old Tumblr blog Truth Graphs features 42 different minimalistic — yet hilarious — line charts on topical events.
- 7 Ways YouTube Can Grow Its Platform
YouTube needs to continue its pattern of growth and do something it hasn’t done a lot of lately: innovate as a social platform. Here’s how.
- What To Do If Your Facebook Account Gets Hacked [VIDEO]
Your friends, your messages, your personal photos and events — so much of our lives is stored on Facebook. Here’s a step-by-step guide on what to do if your account gets hacked.
- 10 Sports Twitter Accounts With a Shocking Number of Fake Followers
A new tool projects how many fake Twitter followers your favorite accounts have. We put some of sports’ biggest names to the test.
- Why We’re ‘Only in the Early Days’ of Social Search
Web searches aren’t what they used to be. Now, you can get relevant search results pooled from your social networks and even email.
- For Brand Engagement, Visuals Rule [INFOGRAPHIC]
Companies are quickly learning that visual media is one of the most effective ways to share their stories. Here’s why.
Business & Marketing
- 100+ Hot Jobs in Social Media, Digital Media and Development
We’ve rounded up five recently posted jobs geared toward our readership of 20 million people who are well versed in digital trends, social media and all the hottest technologies.
- 6 Ways to Get the Most Out of Freemium for Your Small Business
One of the most difficult things about bootstrapping a startup is utilizing the right resources, and the free ones, when possible.
- 5 Brands That Get Email Marketing Right
Email binds all the disparate elements of a marketing program together. Here are five companies who rock this old-school marketing tool.
- 3 Ways to Simplify Online Marketing
Here are three simple rules brands can follow to simplify their marketing for everyone involved.
- Why Startups Choose New York City Over Silicon Valley
When Dennis Crowley and Naveen Selvadurai started building Foursquare in 2008, they chose New York City for their headquarters, and many other startups are following suit. Here’s why.
- The Small Biz Guide to Patents, Copyright and Trademarks
From copyrights to trademarks to patents, you need to protect your product.
- Mashable Media Summit 2012: Early Bird Tickets on Sale Now
The Mashable Media Summit 2012 will explore how technology and new business models are redefining media. Get your tickets now.
- 3 Top Female Founders Answer Your Questions About Startup Life [LIVE CHAT]
Rachel Sklar, Angela Jia Kim, Founder and Kellee Khalil the entrepreneurial journey and how to build your own business.
- How to Use Personal Finance Apps to Turn Your Life Around
Managing your expenditures is incredibly difficult. We talked with several people who used digital tools to turn their finances around.
- 4 Hot Events in Tech, Social and Advertising
Looking to fill your calendar with exciting events in the social media sector? We’ve got your back.
- Why You Remember Certain TV Ads
With live TV, ads are unavoidable and usually not very memorable. However every now and then, there are a few that break through. But why?
- Explore Mashable’s Enhanced Events Board for Your Next Opportunity
With the new features we’ve added to the Mashable Events Board, there’s even more reason to connect, network, locate and list events.
- 5 Companies Changing the Way We Shop
Consumers are becoming more comfortable shopping online. Here are five companies making big changes in the shopping scene.
- This Wish List Site Makes It Easier to Get What You Want
Wantworthy allows you to create a clean and organized wish list for everything you’re eyeing online.
Tech & Mobile
- The Most Popular Freelancer Apps for Work-Life Balance [Inforgraphic]
A look at the most favored apps among freelancers today.
- Kiss Your Keyboard and Mouse Goodbye With The Leap
The ability to manipulate digital objects like clay was the inspiration for making The Leap. It’s tech straight out of Minority Report.
- How to Identify a Scam Email
Are misspellings, histrionics and over-capitalization obvious clues for scam emails?
- 5 Rock-Worthy iOS Apps for Guitarists
Thanks to new hardware, today’s guitarists can plug right into an iPhone or iPad with these five iOS apps.
- How to Ditch Your Landline
If you’re ready to free yourself from the landline ball and chain, consider these services your new best friends.
- Get There Faster With These Four Traffic Apps
For commuters and vacationers, traffic can seem like a necessary evil. But mobile app developers aren’t content to leave it that way.
- 11 Fascinating Facts About Google Maps
We spoke to a Google spokesperson to learn some fascinating, behind-the-scenes facts about Google Maps.
- The Internet a Decade Later [Infographic]
Take a look at how far the Internet has come in a decade.
- The Legend of Miyamoto: How Nintendo Shaped UX
Nintendo and Shigeru Miyamoto created experiences and design elements that we employ every day, whether we realize it or not.
- 6 Companies That Creatively Use Tablets
Eight successful young entrepreneurs note which companies have made a lasting impression with their use of on-site tablet technology.
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know Mint Could Do
Here are some of our favorite underutilized Mint features.
- 10 Educational Products and Services Worth Paying For
We’ve rounded up tools for anyone looking to learn something new, whether you’re an infant or a geriatric.
- 10 Hot Indie Games to Watch
We’ve hand-picked some highly anticipated indie projects that every gamer should keep tabs on.
- How to Create Location-Based Reminders on Your iPhone
Location-based reminders can help you remember to call someone or do the laundry when you get to a specific location. Here’s an introduction to this handy iPhone function.
- How to Learn a Language on YouTube [Video]
You don’t necessarily need expensive software or higher education to learn an entirely different language. This video shows all of the Russian language skills that a Mashable reporter learned on YouTube in an hour.
- 5 Tech Tools Making Classrooms Better
Facebook and Twitter aren’t just a place for random musings — they’re also great platforms for enhancing classroom discussions.
- Here’s How College Students See the World [Infographic]
What comes to mind when you hear the word Twilight? Is it Rod Serling or Edward and Bella?
- Why Your Employer Shouldn’t Ban Facebook [Inforgraphic]
Only 5% of workers said Facebook and Twitter is their biggest distraction at the office. In fact, 44% said social networks increase productivity.
- How Mobile Trends Are Shaping E-commerce [Inforgraphic]
The Battle for Smartphone Supremacy is heating up.
- Why You Should Talk to Kids About Cyberbullying [Infographic]
There is a lot to do before your kid’s school year commences. Hopefully, having a talk about cyberbullying will be on your to-do list.
- See the Top 10 College Campuses for Tech
We know about the top party schools and the best schools for sports, but which college or university is the most technologically advanced?